Staff Assistant for Visitor Relations - 1903058
Required Qualifications: (As evidenced by an attached resume)
Bachelor’s Degree (Foreign equivalent or higher degree) . At least two  years of progressively responsible full-time administrative experience. Experience in hospitality, event planning or another customer-service related field.
Advanced Degree (Foreign equivalent or higher degree) . Experience working in a higher education/academic setting. Experience using a Procurement system (i.e. Wolfmart). Experience working in a content management system (i.e. OmniUpdate). Public relations or marketing experience.
Brief Description of Duties:
The Staff Assistant for Visitor Relations coordinates all arrangements for incoming students, faculty, guests, and visitors to help acclimate them to the Institute for Advanced Computational Science (IACS) and to orient them to Stony Brook.
- Coordinate the general day-to-day activities of the Institute’s front desk, answering any questions and addressing any visitor’s needs. Coordinate all arrangements for incoming IACS students, faculty, guests, and visitors to include building access, desk space, and any other structural or equipment maintenance issues. Schedule use of the Visualization Station.
- Event Coordination: Coordinate the IACS Seminar Series, arranging all amenities and accommodations including site selection, food, transportation, and audio visual equipment. Create the promotional materials and informational mailings for all IACS events. Responsible for any associated event contract negotiations. Monitor and control the IACS event budgets. Assist with the logistics for all other IACS events as needed.
- Procurement: Responsible for ordering all supplies and equipment, managing the IACS procurement budget, making recommendations on vendors and equipment as well as negotiating vendor contracts. Compile and analyze financial records as they relate to event and supply purchases, keeping track of expenditures and reporting all activity to the Administrative Director. This position has signatory authority.
- Website Maintenance: Manage the IACS’ website event content. Ensure that all event documents meet established content management system standards and University branding guidelines. Assist with all other IACS website content as needed.
- Supervision: Oversee and manage student assistants to include being responsible for recruiting, hiring, setting up objectives, workload distribution, and professional development. Identify opportunities for team training and skills advancement; provide direction for team members, working on coordinating projects and updates among the staff.
- Other duties or projects as assigned as appropriate to rank and department mission. Keeps kitchens and office stocked and functioning.
This is a full time appointment. FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA.
Stony Brook University has been tobacco free since January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree .
About Stony Brook:
Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Jackson Pollock House in East Hampton, New York, the Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Stony Brook University/Research is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer. We encourage all to apply including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632- 6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632- 6350. It can also be viewed online at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police .
Visit our WHY WORK HERE page to learn about the total rewards we offer.
Official Job Title : Staff Assistant
: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area : Institute for Advanced Computational Science - Stony Brook University
: Day Shift Shift Hours : 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Pass Days : Sat, Sun
Posting Start Date
: Sep 11, 2019
Posting End Date
: Sep 25, 2019, 11:59:00 PM
Salary : $47,500-$50,000
Salary Grade : SL2
Appointment Type : Temporary